Lately I have been stuck in a rut. I have so many things I want to do but haven’t been able to get started. Last week I decided to make a list of what I have to do vs. what I want to do. I have promised myself that I am going to check a few things off the WANT list this week. One of the things I wanted to do was get TheInspiredMom.com updated and send out my newsletter. Okay now I can check that off. Here is the rest of my list:
Some of the things I HAVE to do, because if I don’t do them, nobody else will!
- Get kids ready for school
- Household tasks (dishwasher, laundry, pick-up)
- School pick-up, homework, shuttle kids to sports
Some of the things I THINK I have to do, because I worry that if I don’t, everyone will think I am a terrible wife/mother!
- Make kids lunch everyday (vs. letting them make their own or buy)
- Vacuum floors every other day- god forbid someone stop by and see them dusty
- Make my kids beds when they don’t do it themselves
- Have the house picked up every day when I my husband arrives home
- Always be ready to help others
- Answer every email and voicemail within an hour of seeing it/hearing it
- Say yes to every birthday party or play date my kids are invited to
- Always be punctual (then I wait for everyone else who is not)
- Never cancel once plans are made
Some of the things I WANT to do:
- Spend alone time with each of my kids (I always dream about it but never make it happen)
- Grow my business- sit down each day and spend at least an hour working on this goal
- Exercise at least 4 times a week
- Find more time (wait, that is circular reasoning)
Several daily tasks fell onto the list of tasks that are important but won’t hurt if they don’t get done. I encourage you to add some of the things you WANT to do to your list each week- so that you don’t get too bogged down in obligations. And don’t forget, just because your children, husband or friends ask you to do something- it is okay to say “no” so you can focus on doing a few things that really matter to you!